Sunday, December 17- Lifeguard Training Review Course
This is an American Red Cross Lifeguard Review course. Participants in this course MUST have an active certification. Participants MUST complete all in person prerequisites and skill sessions and successfully pass the written exam with a score of 80% or higher to receive an updated certification that will be valid for 2 years from date of completion.
Monday & Tuesday, December 18-19- Lifeguard Training Certification Course
This is an American Red Cross blended learning lifeguard training course. This course is to train and certify participants interested in becoming lifeguards. Upon completion of the online blended learning, in-person course prerequisites, in-person skill sessions, and a successful score of 80% on the written exam, participants will receive a certification valid for 2 years from the date of completion.
Our courses give lifeguard training candidates the skills and knowledge needed to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies. Course content and activities prepare candidates to recognize and respond quickly and effectively to emergencies and prevent drowning and other incidents. Lifeguard Training candidates who pass will receive certification in Lifeguard Training, First Aid, CPR for Professional Rescuer, Oxygen Delivery and Bloodborne Pathogens.
The program will be offered to a minimum of (3) participants and a maximum of (6) participants. Participants will also be required to complete an online portion of the class before in-person testing can occur.
- Must be at least 15 years old and pass a swim test.
- Must register 1 week in advance.
- Must register with an email address
Personal Prerequisites/Swim Test
Every lifeguard candidate must be capable of the following:
- Swim 300 yards (300 yards = 12 lengths/6 laps) continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl or breaststroke or a combination, but swimming on the back or side is not permitted. (Goggles and swim cap are strongly recommended.)
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1:40. Swim goggles are not permitted. Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7-10 feet to retrieve a 10-lb object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to the starting point with both hands holding the object while keeping the face at or near the surface to be able to take a breath. Candidates are not permitted to swim the distance underwater. Place objects on the wall and exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
First Aid/CPR/AED Training
Must be 15 years or older to register and participate. Scholarships are available.
This is a blended learning class. You will need to complete an online portion prior to the beginning of class. The class will be offered to a minimum of 3 participants.
At the completion of the class an American Red Cross Certification will be issued that will be valid for 2 years.
For more information please contact:
(540) 943-9622 ext. 206